This is a discussion on Manage Search Engines in Firefox within the Applications forums, part of the Tutorials category; Manage Search Engines in Firefox In the previous tutorial, we guided you on the Search bar and the Search engines ...
Manage Search Engines in Firefox
In the previous tutorial, we guided you on the Search bar and the Search engines available in Firefox 4.0Beta 7 web browser. In this tutorial, we will guide you on How to manage the available Search engines in Firefox web browser.
In Firefox, with the help of Search Engine Manager, you can easily download additional search engines and install them. For example, you may need a search engine that searches for a specific type of data, such as recipes, lyrics of songs, videos, sports etc.
Manage Search Engines
To open the Search engine manager, click on the Search Engine icon’s drop down arrow present in the Search bar and then click on Manage Search engines option from the drop down list. This will open up the Manage Search Engine List dialogue box on your screen.
To Add a Search Engine, do the following
1) In the Manage Search Engine List dialogue box, click on Get more search engines link.
2) Now, the Mozilla Add-ons Search engines page will get displayed on your screen.
3) To add any of the Search engines displayed in the page, click on Add to Firefox button. This will display the Add Search engine dialogue box on your screen.
4) To use the search engine right away, in the Add Search Engine dialogue box, select the checkbox that says Start using it right away.
5) To add the search engine to the list of default search engines, click on Add button.
6) So, now the newly added search engine will be available for use with the Firefox’s Search bar.
While you are browsing a website
Some of the websites offer a search engine that can be added to the Firefox’s search engines list.
For instance, when you are watching a video on YouTube, the Firefox’s Search bar appears to glow with a colored display indicating that the website that you are viewing will offer a search engine that can be added to the Firefox browser.
To add the search engine offered by the YouTube, click on the drop down arrow of the search engine icon and then select Add “YouTube Video Search”.
Now, if you observe, the search engine will be displayed in the default list of search engines.
To Remove a Search Engine, do the following
1) Click on the icon of the search engine to open the Manage Search engine list dialogue box.
2) In the Manage Search engine list dialogue box, select the Search engine that you want to remove and click on the Remove button.
3) If you accidentally deleted any of the default search engines, then click on Restore Default button to restore the deleted search engine.
4) You can also use the Move up and Move down buttons to rearrange the order of display of Search engines.
You can also assign a different keyword to the search engines present in the list. To assign a keyword to the search engine, do the following
1) In the Manage Search Engines List dialogue box, select the search engine for which you like to assign a keyword and then click on the Edit Keyword button. This will open up the Edit Keyword dialogue box on your screens.
2) In the Edit keyword dialogue box, enter the new keyword for the selected search engine and click on OK.
So, this is how you can Manage Search engines in Firefox 4.0 Beta 7 web browser.
Read other Firefox related tutorials