But after the reboot the setting is back to the default. Any idea how to troubleshoot this?
This is a discussion on How to change Data Execution Prevention (DEP) settings in Windows 7? within the Windows 7 forums, part of the Operating systems category; How to change Data Execution Prevention (DEP) settings in Windows 7? Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a feature that protects ...
How to change Data Execution Prevention (DEP) settings in Windows 7?
Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a feature that protects our system from viruses and other security threats. The Windows constantly monitors the programs running on our system and closes them if they perform any malicious activity. But sometimes we want a certain program(s) to run even if the Windows alerts us that it is a malicious one.
To change Data Execution Prevention settings in Windows 7 follow these simple steps:
1) Right click on the Computer icon on your Desktop and select Properties.
2) The System window opens now. Here click the Advanced system settings link in the left pane as highlighted below
3) The System Properties window opens now. Here click the Settings… button under Performance section under Advanced tab
4) The Performance Options dialog box opens now. Here select Data Execution Prevention tab and then click on the dot Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select option and click Add button
5) Now select the Executable file that you want to add and click Open button
Note: If you try to add an executable file that for which DEP cannot be turned off then you will receive a warning as shown below.
6) Similarly to remove an executable file from the list select that file and click Remove button.
7) Click Apply and then OK button in the Performance options window
8) Click OK button in System Properties window
9) Close System window.