This is a discussion on Allow users to run only specified programs or applications within the Windows 7 forums, part of the Operating systems category; How to allow users to run only specified programs or applications in Windows 7? You can allow users to run ...
How to allow users to run only specified programs or applications in Windows 7?
You can allow users to run only specified programs and applications in the following way:
1) Open Start menu. Here type gpedit.msc in the search box at the bottom of the Start menu and press Enter key.
2) The Local Group Policy Editor window now opens. Now navigate to the folder:
Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\System in the left pane
3) Now double click the option Run only specified Windows applications in the right pane as highlighted above
4) Now select the dot Enabled and click Show button as highlighted below
5) In the Show Contents dialog box type the name of the application (.exe file name) which you want to allow user to run under List of allowed applications statement. For eg. type AcroRd32.exe to allow only Adobe Reader to run.
6) If you want to add more applications then type their names under the first one and so on.
7) Click OK button.
8) Click Apply and then OK button in Run only specified Windows applications window.
9) Close Local Group Policy Editor window
Now if you will try to run any program except Adobe Reader you will get the following error message: