This is a discussion on Turn On or Off Search Index in Windows Vista within the Windows Vista forums, part of the Operating systems category; How to turn On or Off Search Index in Windows Vista? The Index is used to make the search process ...
How to turn On or Off Search Index in Windows Vista?
The Index is used to make the search process faster as an index is maintained by the operating system. But you can turn on or turn off it as per your convenience.
Index turned on:
Index turned off:
You can turn on or turn off Index for a drive in the following way:
1) Double click the Computer icon on the Desktop.
2) Now right click on the Drive for which you want to turn on or turn off the index and select Properties option as shown above
3) Check the option Index this drive for faster searching to turn on Index.
Uncheck the option Index this drive for faster searching to turn off Index
4) Click Apply button.
5) Now select the dot Apply changes to drive, subfolders, and files and click OK button
6) Click Continue button in the permission window.
7) Click Ignore All button in the Error Applying Attributes window if prompted.
8) This process may take some time.
9) Finally click OK button in the drive Properties window when finished.
The Index runs in the background in the CPU idle time to keep itself updated. Thus if you want to turn on or turn off it completely then follow these steps:
1) Open Start Menu and type services in the search box at the bottom and press Enter key.
2) Now navigate to the service Windows Search in the Services window and double click it.
3) Now to turn off the Index follow these steps:
a) Click Stop button as highlighted below
b) Select Disabled from the dropdown list near Startup type
c) Click Apply and then OK button
4) Now to turn on the Index follow these steps:
a) Select Automatic from the dropdown list near Startup type
b) Click Apply and Start button
c) Click OK button
5) Close Service window