This is a discussion on Create a shortcut for troubleshooting WMP settings within the Windows 7 forums, part of the Operating systems category; How to create a shortcut for troubleshooting WMP Settings in Windows 7 Many features for improving the system performance and ...
How to create a shortcut for troubleshooting WMP Settings in Windows 7
Many features for improving the system performance and user interaction are included in Windows 7. Some are related to the appearance while some are in concern increasing efficiency and speed of the computer. In addition troubleshoot Wizard for various tasks are also included. There may be occasions when a system process may not run properly and ask for support from the user. For some task Windows 7 provides troubleshoot wizard, which will help the user to trouble shoot the problem, if the user does not have expertise in dealing with the issue. Windows 7 allows you to create shortcut for some troubleshoot wizards too. Among them one is for Window Media Player (WMP) settings. Tracing below noted steps will let you know how a troubleshooting WMP Settings shortcut for Windows 7 is created.
Steps to create a shortcut for troubleshooting WMP Settings for Windows 7: -
1. Invoke the context menu for the desktop by right clicking on a vacant/empty part of the desktop, and then from the invoked context menu click on "New" option to expand it, for viewing its sub-options. Now, among the sub-options click on tag for "Shortcut" option.
2. Enter the under noted path in the text box for the section 'Type the location of the item:' by typing or simply copying and then pasting. Now click the button entitled as "Next" for the "Create Shortcut" dialog box.
%systemroot%\system32\msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerConfigurationDiagnostic
3. Enter "Troubleshoot – WMP Settings" as name for the shortcut by simply copying and then pasting or by typing "Troubleshoot – WMP Settings" in the text box for the section entitled as 'Type a name for this shortcut:'. Now for successful creation of the shortcut just click on the "Finish" button of the "Create Shortcut" dialog box.
You can use the shortcut by double clicking on it, to invoke troubleshoot WMP Settings wizard and then can follow directions for trouble shooting. In addition the icon of the shortcut can be changed if desired. (Note: - Changing the icon of the shortcut is not mandatory, if desired user can do that. However, no change in the functionality of the shortcut will take place by changing its icon.)
Steps for changing icon of the shortcut for Troubleshoot – WMP Settings:-
1. Move pointer of the mouse on the shortcut created and right click on it to open related context menu for the shortcut. Click the option entitled as "Properties" in the context menu, which will invoke the dialog box for "Troubleshoot – WMP Settings Properties".
2. Make sure that the tab entitled as "Shortcut" is enabled in dialog box for "Troubleshoot – WMP Settings Properties", if it is not enabled then enable it, by a click on it. Now, click on button tagged as "Change Icon...", placed in tab for "Shortcut" for the dialog box of "Troubleshoot – WMP Settings Properties", which will then invoke the dialog box for "Change Icon".
3. Enter the under noted path exactly in the textbox for "Look for icons in the file:" section by typing or simply copying and then pasting, click on button entitled as "OK" in the same dialog box.
4. Choose an icon from the list under "Select an icon from the list below:" section of the "Change Icon" dialog box by a click on the desired icon. Now click on the "OK" button of the "Change Icon" dialog box to close it.
5. Next, click on the "Apply" and "OK" button of the "Troubleshoot – WMP Settings Properties" dialog box to successfully change the icon of the "Troubleshoot – WMP Settings" shortcut.
Once the above mentioned steps are traced properly, the users are then capable to create a shortcut for WMP Settings and then change the icon of the shortcut in Windows 7.
More Window 7 Articles
Last edited by singh1985; 03-09-2010 at 09:23 AM.