This is a discussion on Downloading and keeping Track of Stock Quotes in MS Excel 2010 within the Applications forums, part of the Tutorials category; Downloading and keeping Track of Stock Quotes in MS Excel 2010 In MS Excel 2010 there is a feature called ...
Downloading and keeping Track of Stock Quotes in MS Excel 2010
In MS Excel 2010 there is a feature called “Smart Tags” that enables you to download and keep track of Stocks with the help of MSN Money Central. This Smart Tags feature is not new to Excel 2010; it was present in Excel 2007 also. Refer article (Download and keep track of Stocks in MS Excel07). In this article we will look at the procedure how to download and keep track of stocks in MS Excel 2010. Follow these simple steps to achieve the above said task.
1) Open the Excel Worksheet; clock on the ‘Office’ button and then click on the ‘Excel Options’. See Figure 1 for details.
2) Now the “Excel Options” window appears on the screen. In this Window click on the “Proofing” category that you find at the left pane and then click on ‘Autocorrect Options’ tab. See Figure 2 for details.
3) Once you click on the Autocorrect option in the previous step, a new ‘Autocorrect Options’ Window appears on the screen. In this Window click on the ‘Smart Tags’ tab and then click on “OK”. See Figure 3 for details.
4) Inside the Smart Tags tab check the box that says “Financial Symbol” and then click “OK” and once again click “OK” in the Excel Options window to get back to the worksheet. See Figure 4 for details.
5) In the Worksheet, type the name of the Stock (in capital letters) for which you need the stock information. In our illustration we downloaded the stock information of Oracle Corporation (ORCL). See Figure 5 for details.
6) Now if you hover your mouse over the stock name that you have entered, you will observe an “i” icon next to the stock name. Click on that icon’s drop down arrow and you will get a list of options. Click on the Option that says “Insert Refreshable Stock Prices”. See Figure 6 for details.
7) Now a small dialogue window appears on the screen asking you where to download the stock information. You can select either a new worksheet or a cell in the existing worksheet. In our illustration we selected a new Worksheet. See Figure 7 for details.
8) Now you can observe that the Stock prices have appeared on the Worksheet as per your Specifications. See Figure 8 for details.
So, this is how the Smart Tags feature enables you to download and keep track of latest Stock quotes.
Read Other Articles
My Excel 2010 says Smart tags
Smart tags are not supported in Excel 2010. Smart tag indicators (such as the purple triangles in the corners of cells) are no longer displayed in the worksheet when you select a cell or move the pointer over the cell. Instead, you can right-click a cell to view any custom actions associated with its contents by clicking Additional actions on the shortcut menu.
Additional actions are disabled by default, but you can enable or disable this functionality on the Actions tab of the AutoCorrect dialog box (File tab, Options, Proofing category, AutoCorrect Options button).
Even after following these instructions, I had no success. Tom 2/16/13